I was an excellent parent, before I became one. I had worked with kids for 10 years, taught in the classroom, read parenting books for fun, knew all about child development, taught pregnant teens, sex ed, yard duty and summer camps. Even with all my experience and education, becoming a parent made me into a crazier, hyper-worried, stressed out version of myself. I don’t mean certifiably crazy, more like “What the hell is going on with me?” and “What kind of alien has abducted the old Torie?” kind of crazy. I was determined to be a “good” Mom and do everything “right” and the only way I knew how to do this was to research, read, worry and try to prevent anything bad from happening. Whether it was about kids, money, health or relationships, I believed that if I worried about something, it meant nothing bad would happen. I loved being a Mom more than anything, but I started to lose myself in the process of raising them. Little things started bugging me. I felt stressed and overwhelmed one day, bored and restless the next. When I did step away to get a break, I didn’t know how to feel better, it seemed hard to relax. I loved my life, I just wanted to enjoy it more and understand what was going on for me.
Life Coaching was my answer. I fell in love with understanding my mind and how it works. I reconnected to my essence, the part of me that got lost in the demands of raising children. And I believe my mission is to help other parents do the same.
I use my degree in Family Life Education and my teaching credential to teach sex education classes for parents and pre-teens. I teach life coaching and leadership training for girls and Moms. I trained and certified to work as a life coach with Dr. Martha Beck, best selling author and columnist for O: The Oprah Magazine. I am a master, certified life coach with Brooke Castillo at The Life Coach School.
Raising kids drives us crazy enough to bring our issues to the surface. Loving and wanting the best for our kids, motivates us to be the best parents we can be. Knowing that kids learn by imitation, inspires us to take big, bold action steps towards living our best life.
What I believe…
- There is no substitute to knowing and living ones truth.
- Being a Mom is as crazy-making as it is rewarding and we all deserve as much support as we can handle.
- Yoga has saved my sanity and my body on many occasions.
- Few things feel better than being around people who “get you”.
- I have a love/hate relationship with reality TV.
- Loudly singing show tunes is the best cure for bickering siblings.
- I have read countless parenting books and I still don’t have it all figured out.
- Nature restores me every, single time.
- We were all put on this planet for a reason and figuring out that reason feels pretty damn good.